Margin of Error
Using the information on page 170 in the text.
"Notice that the percentage of males varies between 54%
and 48%. The midpoint of these percentages
Calculation: This is repeated for each M&M color. Example.
M&M web site (blue) 24% - Your M&M sample ___% divided by 2 = Margin of error ___ % +/-
Conduct the following sampling error exercise.
1. Purchase a package of M & M plain (1.69 oz / 47.9 g) chocolate candy.
3. Using the following information on the percentages of each color of M&M plain candy in each package.
4. Now compare your counts (%) to those of the M & M web site.
5. Calculate your sampling error as a plus (+/-) or minus percentage for each color.
|M&M Web Site Count (%)||M&M Count (%)
from your sample
|Sampling Error (+/-)|
6. Include your total M&M count (total M&M pieces).
7. Enjoy your M&M's
Submit this assignment to the course facilitator as an email message.
[Class] [Unit 2]
Copyright 2001. Northern Arizona University, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED